Saturday, April 4, 2009

Akwesasne Boys & Girls Club: Thomas

By Thomas Edwards


April 3, 2009 Akwesasne, N.Y

My visit to Akwesasne was great! As we arrived, we entered the Boys and Girls Club and saw youth participating in various activities. After eating dinner, Ry, James and I spoke to the youth about our stories and where we are in our life. The youth listened very well and had many questions. It was great that the youth had questions regarding our traditions and values because it shows their interest in their own culture and an eagerness to learn more.

James had brought some of his medical tools and the youth were able to look into people's eyes and ears. It was quite the interesting experience. For myself, the trip was even better because I got to meet Aronhiaies Herne, a role model from my year but who I hadn't met before. Although it was our first time meeting face to face, it was like reconnecting with a friend. It was almost like we'd known each other for years!

I had a great time visiting the community. It was my first time visiting there and I look forward to returning some day! The community and the people there were very nice and welcoming and that made the trip so much more enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment