Saturday, September 5, 2009

Akwesasne Freedom School camp

By Jessica Yee

September 3 2009 Akwesasne, ON

This has been my favourite Role Model visit so far – but I have to admit I’m hugely biased on this one because I got to work with the youth in my mom’s home community of Akwesasne. I have long been a supporter and fan of all the students who have attended the Akwesasne Freedom School, which is a fully culturally integrated school program whose calendar runs in accordance with our 13 longhouse ceremonies throughout the seasons, and something I have always wished I could have attended had I not lived in the city of Toronto.

I already knew the students were going to be amazing – and the visit itself was no less amazing in fact right from the get-go since I was actually picked up at the train station by Parks Canada folks who, interestingly enough, informed me they were fully supportive of our community’s work to retain ownership of lands around the St. Lawrence river. This visit was for the Freedom School’s summer camp which took place at the 1000 Island Park in Gananoque. We gathered in one of the camp recreation centres and got down to business right away workshopping through the themes of respecting and protecting your body and space, and how traditionally that relates to practicing safe sex today.

I am incredibly proud to be Kanionke:haka (Mohawk) and I left the 1000 Islands park even prouder, since I also got to hear from several of the young women about their interests in becoming midwives and carrying on the long-standing tradition of midwifery in our communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment