Thursday, March 5, 2009

Honour Your Health Challenge Community Dinner

by Ry Moran

March 5, 2009. Brentwood Bay, BC

My visit to Brentwood Bay Elementary Honor Your Health Challenge Community Dinner was a wonderful evening.

The evening consisted of a large number of students being recognized for their abitilty to complete and stick to the Provincial Honor Your Health Challenge. Students were asked to make healthy choices, eat well, drink 8 glasses of water per day and so on.

Since it takes a whole family to support a child in this type of challenge, family members were included in the evening.

My presentation consisted of a five minute talk to the kids. This was a challenge as I had to come up with a motivational talk to young people aged kindergarten to grade 4. I think I came up with a couple of themes that tied into their lives – at least I hope I did!

After my talk, a number of the students sang a traditional song. It really warmed my heart to see these traditions incorporated into the public school system. Both aboriginal and non aboriginal students sang together which was really great.

Afterwards we had a great dinner of chicken, potatoes and salad.

A wonderful night for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment