Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hiawatha First Nation

by Robert Animikii Horton

November 13, 2008

Upon arriving in Toronto, I drove to Peterborough, Ontario and made my way out to the beautiful community of Hiawatha First Nation early the following morning. Upon arriving, I was given a tour of the Hiawatha Band Office and met the current administration and education staff.

Following the Chief and Education Administrator’s speech, I was asked to address the young career gathering which I spoke about the importance of seeking education and creating goals for one’s self.

I placed a great deal of emphasis on the importance of building strong communities and involvement in processes. For the remainder of the morning and into the afternoon, I got to know some of the Hiawatha First Nation staff, as well as those who had career/college kiosks up for youth – creating opportunities.

It was a short stay, but I felt that a strong message was presented and embraced. Thank you for the opportunity NARMP!

No comments:

Post a Comment