Friday, October 2, 2009

Speaking in Midland, Ontario

By Jonathon Earle

Sept. 29 - Oct 1 2009 Midland, Ontario

The trip to Midland was my first speaking experience as a role model. This visit was something i really looked forward to and I was warmly greeted by the organizers of the event including many determined youth. Leading up to the start of the conference, I had the opportunity to speak with many of the organizers and the participants and during this time I learned many different stories from the region and especially the initiatives taken by the youth. This included being active in the community, planning the conference and working closely with the elders, and community partners to develop proactive solutions for the youth of the region.

This feeling resonated through the whole day after hearing many others speak and having the opportunity to speak as well. During my presentation, the audience was actively engaged in the presentation by sharing their stories and experiences. The entire experience was exhilarating and very exciting. For my first appearance as a role model, the youth and people of Midland was very accommodating and supportive.

The opportunity to speak and listen to the many people at the event exposed me to a greater appreciation for the youth of our country. The youth of Midland inspired me to continue in my own endeavors and their ongoing commitment to their region is inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment