Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ted Nolan Foundation Camp

By Alicia Sayers

October 17 2009 Onondaga Farms, ON

I went to the Onondaga farms, Ontario at the Tim Horton's Children Camps to speak to Aboriginal Youth(who are from my home and surrounding area) in conjunction with the Ted Nolan Foundation. This experience and opportunity was important to me because I was able to meet and interact with youth who were from my community. I had an immediate connection to the youth based on where we were from. This made the visit extremely comfortable for me. Additionally, I was there with my older sister, Mackenzie, who was chosen to teach the youth about our culture as she is teacher. I joined the event last minute to work with my sister and help facilitate her event. I enjoyed teaching and learning form the youth about The Seven Grandfathers. After the teaching sessions, my sister and I were invited to the closing ceremonies for that leg of the trip and handed out the gifts made for the youth. It was an incredible and rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment